ITINERARY
Leave from: Nassau, Bahamas
- San Juan, Puerto Rico - Salvador, Brazil - Cape Town, South Africa - Port Louis, Mauritius - Chennai, India -
Yangon, Myanmar - Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - Phnom Penh, Cambodia - Hong Kong, China - Qingdao, China - Kobe, Japan -
Return to: San Diego, California

Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Journey Has Begun

Wow, I leave in 4 days. It seems surreal that I am about to get on a cruise ship turned college campus, and sail around the world with 700 other college students, while doing what I love to do most – travel. Everyone has been asking me, “Are you excited?” I really don’t know how to express my excitement right now. I am feeling a mixture of being ecstatic and nervous, but I know it will all change when I set foot on the ship, and I will feel at home. It has been absolutely crazy getting ready for this trip. Packing, paperwork, phone calls, bills, goodbyes……

But don’t worry, I will be back. I know I will be diving with the great white sharks in Africa, climbing the great wall in China, and dodging lions and elephants on a safari; but I will stay safe. I promise. Oh of course, I will miss every one of you. I will come back with pictures and stories, just be ready…

Like I said in my last post, there are some people I need to thank. I first need to thank Semester at Sea for instituting such a great program, and accepting me to join in on the adventure that so many other students have, and are about to experience. But mostly, I need to thank my parents. Without them, this trip would be nothing but a dream I wouldn’t be able to reach. They are 100% responsible for not only the financial support, but the moral support as well. I know my Mom is probably freaking out inside, because her baby boy is going away for 3 ½ months to countries less traveled to……but she and my Dad have been awesome in their encouragement of my participation. Thank you Mom and Dad, you have given me the world, and I am forever grateful. I love you.

Now that all the mushy stuff is out of the way, get ready for some contact info. Below is a link with the list of the ports we will be visiting, and the address of those ports. The reason I am doing this is because some people have expressed interest in sending me mail while I am gone. I would love to get mail from people, but keep in mind this: you are sending mail to a country very far away, that will very likely get there, or not get there. I have been told that probably 80% of the mail sent to students will get to the ship. It all depends on what is sent, when it is sent, and just plain luck. Therefore, if you wish to send me anything (which I would greatly appreciate!), please DO NOT send anything valuable or of great importance, as I would hate to see it never make it to me. Also, it must be sent airmail. Do not send it ground, because I will not be there to receive it in like 2 years! With that being said, all addresses for the ports I will be visiting are here: http://www.semesteratsea.com/voyages/spring2006/sp2006_communicatewship.html
Scroll down about halfway and you will see a section with all the ports, addresses, and suggested airmail dates. Bookmark this page so you can use it for reference later.

Between regular mail and email, that will be about the only means of communication I will have with everyone. I will have an international cell phone, but due to the rates, I am only going to use it for emergencies, and to contact my parents when I need to. Just for reference though, I am posting below the time in each country that I will be, ahead of U.S. Eastern time. This way you know what time it is where I am.

Bahamas: +0 hours
Puerto Rico: +1 hour
Brazil: +2 hours
South Africa: +7 hours
Mauritius: +7 hours
India: +10.5 hours
Myanmar: +10.5 hours
Vietnam: +11 hours
Hong Kong: +12 hours
China: +12 hours
Japan: +13 hours
San Diego: -3 hours

That is basically it. I guess this will be the last post from home, although I will have a new home in a few days though. My next update on this blog will be a recap of my short time in the Bahamas, along with some pictures I’m sure. Don’t forget, you can always check my Webshots to see my pictures, which can be found here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mgilbert7 or in the right hand column of this page. Every time my blog and Webshots are updated, you will receive an email. If for some reason I can’t get the emails out, just keep checking back often. The email address I have set up is semesteratseamike@gmail.com. Feel free to email me at that address, but keep in mind internet on the ship is slow and expensive, so I will try to get back to you in a timely fashion, but no promises.

Well I guess this is goodbye for now. I fly down to the Bahamas Wednesday morning, and board the ship Thursday morning. I hope everyone has a great time in the U.S. while I’m gone, and keep checking this page for updates, and keep an eye out for those emails. Now what is a post by Mike Gilbert without something about Jimmy Buffett? That’s right, you guys didn’t think you would get away without a Buffett reference, did you?! Anyways, as I leave for this journey, I have had a song that seems to keep playing over and over in my head. So here are a few lyrics from a song called “Far Side of the World”, by yours truly, the great Jimmy Buffett…

“Ramadan is over,
The new moon's shown her face,
I'm halfway round the planet,
In a most unlikely place.

I ran away from politics,
It's too bizarre at home.
Away I flew, tuned into Blue
"Maybe Amsterdam or Rome"

Awakened by a stewardess,
With Spain somewhere below.
On the threshold of adventure,
God I do love this job so.

So while I make my move
On the big board game
Up and down a Spanish highway,
Some things remain the same.
Girls meet boys
and the boys tease girls
I'm heading out this morning,
For the Far Side of the World.

Time to sing time to dance
Living out my second chance.

Cobras and sleeping bags are coiled and curled
That's the way it happens
On the Far Side of the World…”



Ladies and gentleman, let the journey begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com